wedding series: exercising as a couple
For those brides and grooms out there, I’m sure you are focusing on improving your appearance for the big day. Are you and your betrothed logging in hours at the gym? If so, have you considered sweating it out together? Couples exercising can be stress-relieving and actually fun if you give it a shot. Some people may shy away from the idea simply because they think they’d end up slacking off during the workout, or having the session end in a fight, but it can be a really rewarding process. Here are some of the many reasons a couples workout is pretty awesome:
- Rush of endorphins. We all know that exercise releases endorphins, the hormone that elevates your mood. As Elle Woods in the movie Legally Blonde so eloquently put it, “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands!” Well said, Elle. The calm happiness that you experience at the end of a workout can relieve relationship tension and clear your mind for any post-exercise wedding discussions.
- Bonding time! The wedding planning process can be brutal with appointments, budgeting, and decisions often while balancing a demanding full-time job. Holy stressball! Carving out time in your busy schedule to exercise with your partner is really helpful for your relationship. You can establish a “no wedding-talk zone” during your workouts so you can strictly focus on being healthy, catching up with each other, and getting in a good workout.
- Accountability. Not a morning person but that is the only time you can hit the gym? Pair up! Scheduling an exercise session with your significant other will make sure you get out of bed and get that blood pumping. I am horrible when it comes to morning workouts, so having my husband physically pull me out of bed is a definite boost to get me moving.
- Sense of accomplishment. You and your partner made it through that gnarly bootcamp class, that long run, or that sweaty Vinyasa practice. You tackled a challenge together. A (very) small dress rehearsal for more substantial life challenges?
- Sexy self-confidence. Regular workouts will undoubtedly contribute to the tighter, sexier body you’ll be showing off at your wedding. When both parties in a couple feel confident in their own bodies they feel more comfortable being intimate with one another. Pair that with an exotic bikini-required honeymoon and you’re starting your marriage off on the right foot!
There are no limits to what kind of exercise is best for you and your lover. Hiking, biking, running, swimming, pole dancing (for the more adventuresome), yoga, weight lifting, you name it! The only requirement is that you two are breaking a sweat, smiling, and having a good time with each other. The couple who sweats together stays together!
- wedding series: let’s get this party started! (thefitchronicles.com)
- wedding series: beat the bloat (thefitchronicles.com)
- wedding series: fitness-related bachelorette parties (thefitchronicles.com)
photo credit: Made Whole Ministries