valentine’s day healthy dessert
Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone! As promised, today I am posting the delicious chia seed pudding and peanut butter ice “cream” recipes from last week’s Whole Foods Engine 2 class. This dessert is a perfect choice for tonight’s romantic dinner. Before we get into the recipes, here is some background on the power of chia seeds:
- Super-rich in omega-3 acids. These little seeds beat out the omega-3 level of salmon!
- Strong source of calcium, 18% of your daily requirement to be exact
- Four grams of protein
- Insane amounts of fiber, at least 40% of your daily requirement! Fun little story–after the first time I had chia seeds, I woke up in the middle of the night with some distracting stomach cramps. Might be TMI but that was just the seeds working their digestive magic…
- Source of potassium, something that most are lacking in their diets. Potassium helps heal muscles after a hard workout and keeps your electrolyte levels balanced. Great for athletes!
Now on to the good stuff…
Chi Chi Chunky Monkey Chia Pudding
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk, such as almond milk
- 2/3 cup chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp raw honey
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1 chopped banana
Whisk honey into non-dairy milk. Add all other ingredients and whisk until consistent. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least a few hours. Add chopped banana and serve.
Peanut Butter Ice “Cream”
- 1 cup no added oil peanut butter
- 1 cup of dates (soak them in water for a bit if too dry)
- 1/2 cup water
Blend all ingredients until smooth. Add 40 oz. of ice cubes and blend again until smooth.
So as you can see, these recipes are incredibly easy. Pair them together for a chocolate-banana-peanut butter dessert that you and your Valentine will LOVE that is also healthy and super filling! I’m having a fancy dinner at home with my husband, what are your Valentine’s Day plans?